Join us for a pop-up dinner at Kitchen Collective in the Meat Packing District, where Saito & Tombo, will host and cook a kaiseki inspired menu.
The menu will feature 7 dishes, drawing inspiration from Edgars’s time in Kyoto, blended with touches of Saito’s cooking style.
Edgars Šutka and Takashi Saito both trained as young chefs at Restaurant Umami, in Copenhagen many years ago.
Edgars is specialized in Washoku, and throughout his career he has worked in Scandinavian, French, and Japanese kitchens.
His passion for learning and experiencing the rich art of Washoku led him to Kyoto where he lived and trained in the tradition of Kaiseki for 3 years.
He holds a Golden Level certification on the Guidelines for cooking skills for Japanese Cuisine in Foreign Countries from the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, & Fisheries.
Currently he is pursuing his own culinary concept, Tombo, where he presents Washoku cuisine for the seasons and the senses.
1. Sakizuke. Chawan mushi. Savory custard made with organic eggs, dashi & shimeji/nameko mushrooms.
2. Suimono. Clear soup made with ichiban dashi, cabbage & ginger.
3. Tsukuri sashimi. Cuts of Bisserup trout, air-dried trout, & squid. Served with local seaweed/dumont’s tubular weed.
4. Langoustine. Fresh & deep fried with shiso. Served with tsukemono/pickles, sea lettuce & dulse.
5. Dengaku miso celeriac, served with kombu tsukudani, & beets.
6. Gohanmono. Rice dish with oyster mushrooms, egg yolk & tsukemono.
7. Dulse ice cream, with roasted kombu & sea beech.
The menu will be subject to slight changes, as we get closer and closer to the day of the pop-up, as we will spend a few days in the kitchen together to fine-tune the menu, and sort out the final details.
Also, please note, that due to the nature of the menu, we unfortunately can't accommodate to vegetarian, vegan or gluten-free diets.
Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding!
Drink pairing with sake, natural wine and non-alcholic beverages, available on the day.
Photo credit: Koalition